Thursday, November 10, 2005

Simple != Easy

We all know what we SHOULD be doing. It's simple:

  • I get to sleep and wake up on a reasonably regular schedule, getting at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
  • I exercise every morning before going to work.
  • With a baseline of rest and activity under my belt, I my appetite is under control and I can indulge in tiny portions of dessert at the work-provided lunch without shame.
  • I'm ultra productive at work and at home.

    But it's not easy. You know what's easy? This is:

  • I find myself staying up until after 1am most nights, waking up tired.
  • I sleep in and don't exercise.
  • I'm ravenous all day, trying to make healthy food choices but taking normal to large sized dessert portions.
  • I'm tired, so drink far too much caffeine through the day.
  • Sometimes I go back to the cafeteria after lunch hours but before they take away the dessert trays, and I get another portion.
  • All this refined sugar makes me sleepy in the afternoon, leading me to drink more coffee.
  • I'm not productive at work OR at home, which causes me to stress out more.
  • I stay up late trying to get things done (and probably hopped up on caffeine), but am too distractable and disorganized in this walking-sleep-stress state to get things done effectively.

    Guess which senario is true right now? :( I think this all stems from caffeine: I never used to drink it on a regular basis, but the coffee setup at my new job is very appealing and tasty and stuff. I need to stop drinking the caffeine so I'll feel sleepy at bedtime. Once I start getting enough sleep on a regular basis EVERYTHING else will fall into place: time for exercise, feeling more alert at work and home, and thus being more productive in my life overall. Right now I feel like I can't concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes at a time.

    Corrective Action #1: I have ingested no caffeine today. I drank some decaf coffee becuase I have gotten used to the hot-coffee-as-comfort-food ritual, but I should really stop doing that too.

    Corrective Action #2: Two days ago I set a "go to sleep" alarm for myself. Tuesday night was out at dinner when it went off, last night I just kept snoozing it until I finally turned it off and didn't go to bed until 2am. TONIGHT I'll set that alarm (which is on a wristwatch) and put the watch somewhere OTHER than next to my computer (crack, that thing is), somewhere I have to get out of my chair to get to. A full night's sleep will be mine.

    Corrective Action #3: Make micro-task to-do lists so I can get things accomplished even if I'm feeling very scatterbrained.
  • 2 comments:

    eingy said...

    Man, I only wish simple things were the same as easy things. So many things would be so awesometastic that way! :D

    I fell off the FitDay food logging a week ago, but I'm climbing back on. Boo.

    Unknown said...

    Setbacks are mere speed bumps, not stop signs. :)