Wednesday, November 30, 2005

First Swim

I went for my first swim in my new gym's swimming pool tonight. I was going to do it this morning, but a really long boring list of delays and distractions got in my way.

I haven't swam laps in a pool, I think, since middle school. The triathlon will start with a half mile = 805 meter swim, which is 16 laps in this pool. I actually didn't know those numbers until just now, so my goal for this first swim was just to get a feel for moving and breathing in the pool again. Wow, breathing. I need to really improve my lung capacity or decrease my need for oxygen during exercise. By the third lap I found myself not putting my head underwater at all because I needed to breath so much. And I kept inhaling water.

Anyway, in the end I did 9 laps, which is just a little over half of what I'll need to do. I didn't remember my heart rate monitor, and didn't see the pool clock until the very end, so I'm not sure how long it took me. I was only going to do 8 laps, but when I saw the clock I swam one more and timed it: 1 min 15 sec. Hm. I'd rather like to decrease that time. :)

New meters on the right to track my progress. Looks like I need to get some bike rides in, eh? Also looking at this site to come up with a more regimented training plan.

2 comments:

eingy said...

Re: New meters. Cool! And congratulations on maintaining your 50K seconds of exercise goal even with the hectic move and socializing. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks! Commuting by bike made all the difference. And it's making all the difference day to day, too. I'm losing weight like gangbusters right now. :)