Thursday, November 02, 2006

8 minute mile

Guess what I just did (mostly)? I (pretty much) ran an 8 minute mile. Whooo hooo!

It was on the treadmill, but at 1% incline, so it counts. What dulls the shine a bit is that three times, for a few seconds each time, I stepped to the side on the treadmill to catch my breath. 7.5 miles per hour is really fast, and I was mentally struggling in the second half. My skin was tingling, and it was just a lot faster than I've ever run for more than a few minutes at a time.

I should do more running drills.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Running drills are the way to go, IMHO. Pushing yourself to the limit, even for only short periods of time, is the best way to improve performance, I think. I always kick up the speed to just about my max during the last minute or two. If my heart doesn't feel like it's going to explode, I've done something wrong.

Unknown said...

Yeah, they sure do seem to be effective. It's the old motivation problem. Sometimes I get those running shoes on and I just want to "put in my time" and not push myself at all. Lazy. :)

Joseph said...

H-
Try doing fartleks. That is an actual term, not some nasty joke. What it involves is uping your tempo for a brief time period through-out your run. This will help build your speed, you can go faster. You can be built stronger!!! Go H!!

-J