Wednesday, October 25, 2006

No, Run Faster!

Samo's running team is hosting this year's USA Track & Field National Club Cross Country Championships this year, on December 9th. She'll be competing in the Open Women's 6 km race, but there is also a Community 6 km race earlier in the day which I'll probably compete in.

I was pretty disappointed in my performance in last month's race; 9:48 minutes per mile? I know I can move faster than that. So does Samo. But instead of really training I've been mostly just running from time to time, and lately not much at all.

So today Samo put me through a real training workout, and it felt fantastic.

0.75 mile warm up at 10 minute miles (6 mph)
0.25 mile at 8:34-8:13 minutes per mile pace (7.0-7.3 mph) x 5 with 0.25 mile recovery in between
0.50 mile cool down

She pushed me, but not too hard, and I pushed myself, and it felt good to be done more than just "putting in my time." 7.3 miles per hour felt good; my legs and lungs felt reasonably comfortable. The last lap was hard, but if I had really needed to I could have done at least one more, so I wasn't completely spent.

Samo says she thinks I can run 8:40 minute miles on December 9th. We'll see. 9 minute miles would be just fine. :)

Maybe, someday, I'll be able to keep up with Mack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Holly! I'd be happy to finish a mile. :p