Monday, October 02, 2006

Solidarity (Take 2)

Last year I decided to forgo NaNoWriMo in favor of staying in shape. I pledged instead to exercise for 50,000 seconds in November (50,000 seconds = 833.33 minutes = 13.89 hours = 28 minutes a day) as a sign of solidarity with my NaNoWriMoing friends. I succeeded in making that goal, and almost all of them succeeded in their NaNoWriMo goals. Yay!

This year I'm aiming a little higher. No, not at NaNoWriMo. I'm pretty sure I still don't have the time. But instead, I pledge this: I will earn a Presidential Champions Silver Award by the end of November.

"Presidential Champion?" you say. Well, back in June (when I used to read this blog), I read a blog entry about The President's Challenge. Just like the blogger I am very goal oriented, so I decided to sign up, log my activity (as if I don't track enough things in enough places already), and see what happened. You log activities to earn points (basically 1 point = 1 calorie burned), and earn points to earn awards.

Since the middle of June I've earned almost exactly a Bronze Award (just 197 points shy). If I pick up the pace and workout rigorously for two months, I can earn 25,000 more points to get a Silver Award. That's about 400 calories a day; rigorous, but doable. Just like NaNoWriMo.

1 comment:

eingy said...

That's fantastic! I love this set of November challenges you've been doing. :D