Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Fastest!

I just ran my fastest mile ever (I think)! 9 minutes, 7 seconds.




Boot Camp TestsDecember 1December 20
1 Mile Run9:509:07
30 Seconds Sit-ups1620
30 Seconds Push-ups2526

My 1 mile run time actually didn't improve as much as it appears: I sprinted my heart out at the end of today's run, but didn't on the December 1st run. Still, just the desire and motivation to do that sprint is a sign of improvement.

And I really do think that's the fastest mile I've ever run. I never ran just one mile (timed) in high school, I think, which is the last time I was in as good of shape as I am now (last year I was in better strength-shape, but I'm in better cardio-shape now). I think, though, that even back in high school I didn't care about being fast or strong, but about being good at basketball and tennis and other sports, and I didn't connect being fast with being good at those things. I wasn't a very good athlete, in other words. I kind of blame it on bad coaching, actually, though surely part of the blame is on me. That's a full rant for another day.

Tomorrow's Triathlon Training Menu: 20 minute swim. ... I'm already nervous given how tired I was after the 12 minute swim on Monday. I'm trying not to think about it or I'll be defeated before I get in the water.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! That's pretty damn fast for us old fogies. I'm just working on getting my distance back up, so I'm back down to 10 minute miles for now. It's hard to believe I was ever able to come in under 7 minutes.

Unknown said...

7 minutes! Wow. I don't think I'll be doing 9 minute miles for 4 miles at the end of the triathlon, either. 10 minute miles seems like a pretty reasonable goal to me. And not exactly slow anyway.

Unknown said...

It was usually *just* under 7 minutes, and only for one mile, but that was a long time ago. I had friends in high school who were easily a full minute faster though. I wasn't a very good athlete either.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

By the way, here's a pic of our new treadmill:

http://static.flickr.com/35/70906163_ba7d859091_o.jpg
Nordic Track C2270

I'll have to snap some RL pictures of it, along with the little workout area Steph and I have set up in the basement now.

Unknown said...

Lookin' pretty buff there, Chad. Nice to see you are keeping up with the waxing.

eingy said...

Lookin' pretty buff there, Chad. Nice to see you are keeping up with the waxing.

ROFL!