Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Last night's workout

My work gym has this bootcamp class. I think I've mentioned it a thousand times already. 1.5 hours of exercise twice a week. Last night's session:

  • 10 min of warm-up and stretching
  • 20 min of: 30 sec stationary bike standing sprint + 30 sec treadmill sprint, repeat. This was HARD!
  • 15 min of calisthenics like medicine ball toss and lunge walking and squats and "running mans", etc., but in a circuit training, no rest periods between exercises kind of way
  • 20 min of running sprint drills like "suicides" and gym laps, etc.

    Then, at the very end, because I'm the fastest girl in the group, the instructor challenged me to do a suicide sprint in 30 sec or less. If I didn't make it the entire class would have to do an abs workout. I gave it my all, after an hour and a half of exercise, and made it in 26 seconds!

    Then I iced my knee, took a shower, and went home.

    That was easily the hardest workout I've had in probably a year. Never overestimate your own ability to push yourself: I like to think that I workout hard on my own, but it's just clearly not true.
  • 2 comments:

    eingy said...

    Damn, girl! Wow, that's some boot camp. By the way, what's the suicide sprint?

    Unknown said...

    Suicides are a basketball conditioning drill. On a basketball court, start by standing at the baseline (beneath a hoop). Then: sprint to the first free-throw line, reach down and touch it, sprint back to the baseline and touch it, sprint to halfcourt and touch, baseline and touch, second free-throw line and touch, baseline and touch, then the opposite baseline and touch, then your original baseline.

    That's 420 feet of sprinting, with sharp turns and reaching down to touch the floor.