Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Back on the horse

A month ago I hit some kind of mental (possibly physical) wall; I remember being in the pool and just not being into the swim at all and climbing out after 15 minutes. After that I took two weeks pretty easy at the gym, although my first yoga class and first real bike ride were in that time. I was easing back into the full training regimen when I met a boy, started spending lots of time with him, and caught his cold. So the next week was pretty light on gym time as well. I'm still not completely over that cold, actually.

Enter the triathlon class two weeks ago. This has been priceless! The coach pushes us very hard, much harder than I'd be pushing myself right now, and this is very very necessary for me because I have only... 47 days until my race. The class will give me a big conditioning push then end in time for me to do a two week training taper before the race. Perfection. My performance in the class has been less stellar than I'd like; I'm not sure how much of that is due to me taking some time off from the gym and how much of it is this lingering cold.

The class will also help me catch up on my 2006 minutes, which you'll notice I've gone from being ahead to being behind on. :(

Also since my last entry I have proven that it's quite possible to fall off the horse no matter what eating plan and rules you've chosen. I've been pretty good most days, with a few binge days for the regular reasons. The weight blip was small and hopefully will go away quickly.

I suffered a low-blood-sugar attack during yesterday's workout and it took me a few hours to recover. That wasn't fun. I'm going to make sure to eat a portion of carbs a few hours before working out from now on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm very much NOT an athlete! I'm just pretending, honestly. Anytime I workout with people who really are athletes the difference becomes quite clear.

What I am is highly motivated to stay at a reasonable weight. When regular exercise falls by the wayside then my eating restrictions alone aren't enough. So I come up with tricks and motivations to keep me working out.

Honestly, the effort (mental, time, physical) going into this triathlon training makes me question having signed up for it every day. I'm sure I'll be happy to have done it once it's over, but I don't see myself becoming a "traithlete," or any other flavor of athlete, anytime soon.

Andre Alforque said...

It all depends on perspective. Compared to me (and I guess, Steve here), you're frickin' Bruce Jenner!

isniyfve - almost quitting time.