Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Faking it poorly

I've been off the wagon lately, relatively speaking. Not sleeping enough, drinking too much coffee, not working out every day, non-ideal food ratios. I've been socializing, working, packing, working, driving, socializing. I've been distractable at work, so I value a full night's sleep above a workout. But I'm moving away from this city soon, so I value socializing over a full night's sleep. Hm.

Long story short, I'm out of my routine. And that's all bad for work, eating, exercising, and my weight. It's bad for pretty much all aspects of my life. Not to say that a strict daily routine is necessary for me to be happy, but if too many aspects of it are out of whack for too long then I start to fray at the edges. Exercise makes me feel better all day, and sleep makes me function properly: as soon as those two start to suffer everything else does too. So why do they end up at the bottom of the priority stack? Because they are boring. Unsexy. Uninteresting when compared to seeing friends and doing well at my job and packing my apartment. I see them as expendable, but really (this is me doing productive self-talk, by the way) they are the foundation of my life. With a good night's sleep and a little bit of exercise I am better equipped to do well at my job, be a good attentive friend, and pack my apartment efficiently.

I know this intellectually. Clearly. Why is there such a disconnect between knowing and doing?

No comments: