Friday, October 14, 2005

Fight the good fight

Thursday's plan: Woke up too late to go to the gym, so brought gym bag with me to work so I'd be sure to workout after work, even if I worked late. I rarely am able to bring myself to leave home to go to the gym at night, but if I stop at the gym BEFORE I get home I'm golden.

Thursday's revised plan: Friend calls me at 7pm and asks if I want to have dinner. Wednesday I had actually asked this same person if they wanted to have dinner Thursday and they had declined, so I had kind of planned my evening around that answer. I accepted the last minute dinner invite, reasoning that since this particular friend likes to get to bed early I could always go to the gym after dinner.

Thursday's reality: Dinner turns into late dinner plus record store, got home at 10:30 pm which is a bit late to hit the gym when bedtime is 11 pm. Stay up until 1 am doing random dumb stuff on the internet and around the apartment. No workout, no good night's sleep.

Lesson learned: I need to accept that as long I don't see working out as an essential oart of every day, keeping company with other mundane tasks like showering and dressing, I'll never reach the kind of effortless fitness and flat stomach I'd like to see. It's pretty much just a fact.

Today's plan: Having dinner with same friend tonight, but we're meeting at 9 pm. I have my gym bag. I will leave work at 6:30 pm, drive to the gym, get a nice solid unrushed workout in, shower, then go eat a tasty Father's Office burger.

Is it stubborn or dumb to expect different results out of the same plan? *sigh*

3 comments:

eingy said...

Did the plan work?

Unknown said...

YES! Traffic forced me to have a rushed instead of an unrushed workout, but I still got a nice good sweat in.

Then, of course, my dinner companion was late so I COULD have gotten a longer workout in. But I did what I could with the info I had.

Today I got my workout in already, so when I have tasty bibimbap tonight I can do so guilt-free. :)

eingy said...

Awesome.


Mmmmmm.... bibimbap....