Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Measuring Mania

I weigh myself first thing in the morning every single morning. Alarm, bathroom break, strip, scale. That's the routine. Has been since January 2001, when I had my first "get serious" moment. From my weight log you can see that I've taken breaks here and there (vacations, broken leg, just not writing the number down, etc), but daily weigh-ins and watching the weighted average of those weigh-ins is an essential feedback mechanism in my daily life.

Whenever possible I measure every bite of food I eat. I also log my food intake every single day (nearly) without fail. I have done those two since January 2004 when I had one of my "get serious" moments and took my weight-loss-game up to the next level. Actually, I took a small break from measuring and logging during the holidays of 2004, but I also gained 5 pounds. Negative case proves the positive, right? :)

I don't weigh myself only if I don't have access to my home scale in the morning at my designated weighing time. I don't log my food only on very special occasions, like long vacations out of the country or something. Actually I've been known to log food on paper even during vacations, then go back and fill in the data later in my fitday.com account. I do my very best to guess (or look up) the ingredients of food I've eaten that turns out to not be in the fitday food database.

Measuring food. This is the trickier one. Anytime I'm eating food away from home, like at a restaurant or the cafeteria at work, I'm at the mercy of my estimating abilities. Luckily I've gotten very very good at estimating food volumes. I try to double-check my estimates, for example by going home and measuring all parts of the half of a restaurant meal I've brought home in a doggie bag. When eating at the work cafeteria, where all food is free (what a mixed blessing that is), I try very hard to slightly low-ball my portions of calorie dense foods. Take the smallest muffin in the basket, a scant bowl of cereal, a tiny cookie, etc. I'm wondering, though, if my estimation ability is starting to slip.

Tonight my dinner was some whole wheat pita, hummus, and broccoli. I measured the hummus with a tablespoon onto my plate: 1, 2, 3, 4. I counted the broccoli flowerets. I actually input the meal into fitday before I even started plating it up, to make sure it fit into my nutritional plan for the day. This doesn't seem strange to me anymore, in fact NOT doing it would feel strange. But I also am very aware that other people don't do this. Don't need to do this.

Yes, this all seems a bit extreme and obsessive. I like to think that part of the rigor is my scientific mind: the FitDay reporting mechanism and weight chart averaging aren't worth squat without complete, accurate data. Part of it, though, is a real acknowledgment that if I were to stop all these behaviors and just "live life like a normal person," I'd backslide on my weight and fitness and health. I've worked far too hard to let that happen.

Theoretically, at some nebulous future time, all of these behaviors that I'm forcing on myself will truly be habits and second nature and I won't need these feedback mechanisms to keep me exercising every day and eating well and not gaining fat. I've already truly changed many behaviors, like how big I think a meal should be. Then again, there are lots of reasons for me to believe, or at least accept as a real possibility, that such a future is quite impossible. It's far better for me to just assume that I'll always weigh myself regularly and I'll always think very consciously about what I'm eating, at the very least.

The scale is my most important and vital feedback mechanism, and I don't care what the "don't weigh yourself, it only makes you feel bad" nay-sayers say. I know from experience. When I was gaining weight back over the holidays last year I didn't need the scale to tell me that. I knew it from looking at my body and feeling my clothes. Even 5 pounds is quite noticeable if you are paying attention. But did I change my overeating, non-exercising behavior? No. Nor did I stop weighing myself, however. And when the scale hit the "trigger weight" I had set for myself, then and only then did I snap out of it and get back on that horse and lose those pounds. It's all about understanding your own psychology, then setting traps for all those bad behaviors.

Speaking of bad behaviors, one of mine is staying up too late and being too tired to work out the next morning. Time for bed!

13 comments:

eingy said...

I tried FitDay for a while and while I really liked the features that it provided, as well as the way it fed into my sometimes obsessive personality, the biggest challenge would come when I would eat Korean food, whether it was at home or at a restaurant. Many of the dishes and ingredients that make up the dishes simply did not exist in the database, and it was difficult to track down the nutritional information for a lot of them. I could make reasonable guesses, but it got so that I was making guesses upon guesses, which was propagating a lot of error, which sucked like a Hoover.

I have been casually looking for something like FitDay that has a bigger preloaded database of foods. I have also been looking into trying to find the nutritional info for some general Korean dishes (even though they will vary wildly from place to place). Still no success though.

I have become much more aware of portion sizes in the last year or two, but am still struggling with what is reasonable. I am getting closer though. :)

Unknown said...

I have a few thoughts:

1. You can create custom foods in FitDay, so if you track down the nutritional info for an item once you can store it and use it over and over again.

2. Favorite places for tracking down nutritional info: calorieking.com, allrecipies.com, plus the always useful google.com.

3. There are other nutritional diary sites, like calorieking.com and nutridiary.com. Calorieking has a HUGE pre-loaded database, but it's freely searchable and their diary costs money, so... Nutridiary looks pretty good, and I once almost switched, but they have too rigid a structure for me. In the end Fitday is the perfect amount of storage and analysis with nothing extra to get in my way.

4. New American Plate, an American Center for Cancer Research initiative, does a great job, in my opinion, of addressing the portion size issue in a concise and useful manner.

Jeremy said...

Great job on the new blog. I started my "Operation Active" two weeks ago and have lost six pounds so far.

The info you are providing is great and it is supercool to be able to follow along with someone else "fighting the fight" and be inspired.

I already set up a FitDay.com account. Look at you, all, being an inspiration and stuff!

eingy said...

What kind of regiment on you on, Jeremy?

eingy said...

Also, I have gotten back into the habit of weighing myself everyday, after reading that on your blog. :) It is a useful part of the feedback process.

Knowledge is power!

Unknown said...

Check it out, inspiration all around!

6 pounds in 2 weeks! Wow. I'm managing abuot a quarter pound per week right now. At least it's steady... :/

eingy said...

Speaking of FitDay, have you purchases the PC version or do you only use the web one? The PC version seems enticing because of all the charts, and I love charts! :D

Unknown said...

Even when I had access to a windows machine on a regular basis, which I no longer do, I was never VERY tempted because I rely on the ability to enter data wherever I am which only the web version provides.

eingy said...

I just purchased it and entered the data from yesterday and today. The sucky thing is that there is no automatic "import from my online profile" option. Bleh.

I really love all the charts. I have measured various parts of myself for the first time in years. It was rather surprising.

Unknown said...

Data data data data. :)

I feel like I should let you two post on the blog too. Would you guys want to?

eingy said...

I'm not sure yet if I want to "put myself out there" for weight/exercise goals yet. :D I know that doing that will be half the battle, but... Not sure if I'm there yet.

Give me a week; I'm sure I'll be over on the "dark" side by then. Rather, I suppose it is the "light" side. :D

Jeremy said...

What kind of regiment on you on, Jeremy?

Weighing myself ever morning with recorded weigh-ins on Sunday mornings. I started a Excel spreadsheet for tracking calorie intake daily, which I carry around on my pocket PC. I have been trying to hit a target of about 1800 a day, which is about as low as I can go without triggering a starving reaction.

I started another speadsheet to track my weight progress. I am tracking over weight, percent lost, Body Fat, waist size, and overall BMI.

As for workouts, I have been trying to get a minimun of five days a week in some combination of gym and brisk walking outside. A hour of cardio, five days a week is my goal and I have been hitting it for two and a half weeks so far.

Go us!

eingy said...

Wow, that's really awesome. Great job!