Friday, January 27, 2006

Functional Exercise

2006 in 2006 progress: 150 minutes this week (60+30+60). Only workouts done at the gym count for this goal, and exciting unknown prizes await me. Free personal training session, maybe?

I had to ditch today's workout in favor of sleep. :/ I keep meaning to add another meter in the right hand column, but haven't gotten around to it yet. (http post upload size too large to do at work). My training could really use that 61 minute bike ride I was supposed to do today, too. I'll get my run in on Sunday, though.

Good internets: This article from Stumptuous talks about the importance of integrated, lifelike exercise, and I couldn't agree more. It's an older article, but I thought of it when I came across this site about functional exercise on lifehacker.com today.

Triathlons and running a mile in x minutes and bench pressing y pounds is all fine and well, but really we stay in shape so we can carry all our groceries upstairs in one trip, and put that bulky box on the top shelf without fear of dropping it, and break into a run at a moment's notice to avoid getting clipped by a car. We stay in shape so we can keep doing these things for years and years to come.

No comments: