Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Records, records everywhere

Swim: Last night I swam 600 yards (12 laps) in 16 minutes = 37.5 yards per minute. My previous "record" pace was 800 yards in 24 minutes = 33.3 yards per minute. It's hard to compare those two workouts, as my overall pace last night may have been slower if I had swam for longer. However, last night was the first swim workout I've done in preparation for this triathlon where I haven't had to stop (albeit briefly) to rest. I swam straight through, only stopping two or three times to cough up some inhaled water, and then only for a few seconds. So progress is definitely being made! Even if FitDay still says 50 yards per minute is "Swimming, crawl, slow (50 yards per min), moderate or light effort." *grrr*

Bricks: Last night was the first night I did a "brick" workout: that's "training on two disciplines during the same workout, one after the other with minimal or no interruption in between, just as you would do in a race." So after my swim I popped out of the pool, toweled off and changed into my cycling gear, and jumped on the stationary bike. I changed quickly, though not at race pace or anything (didn't want people looking at me too strangely), and I still did a 5 minute warmup then a stretch on the bike before I started my real workout, but it was definitely good practice.

Edit:
I forgot to talk about the event that made me want to write this entry in the first place!

Weight: This morning my scale read 145 pounds, my lowest adult weight ever. Whoo Hoo!

1 comment:

eingy said...

Wow! You were sick just two weeks ago and now you are making such awesome progress. Way to get back on the horse, woman! :D

Yay, progress!